Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Vaya con el Diablo...

Pictured at left, my next bike, a Salsa Vaya (pic shamelessly pilfered from the Salsa blog), though my build will be a bit different.

Working with Tom at The Bicycle Escape to bring it all in, then building it up slowly on my own, so when it all falls to pieces under my ass in the thrombotic heart of some corn-fed midwestern burg, I'll have no one to blame but myself and baby Jesus (co-pilot).

Right.

Here's a potential list of parts—I invite comments/suggestions on the selection, so let me have it if you're feeling passionate and can put a string of words together in an intelligible sequence:

Frame: Salsa Vaya, 56 cm
Headset: Chris King, Black
Derailleur, front: Shimano XT, Top Pull, 3-Speed
Derailleur, rear: Shimano XT, Long Cage, Black
Shifters: Shimano Bar End
Crankset: Shimano XT, Black, 175mm
Chainring: 48/36/26T
Cassette: Shimano XT, 9-Speed, 11-34T
Chain: Shimano CN-HG93, 9-Speed
Pedals: Crank Bros. Eggbeater 3//
Hub, front: Shimano XT, 32H, 6-Bolt, Black
Hub, rear: Shimano XT, 32H, 6-Bolt, Black
Quick Release: Shimano XT, Black
Spokes: DT Swiss Comp 2.0/1.8 mm (double-butted), Silver, w/ Brass Nipples
Rims: WTB SpeedDisc XC 700c, 32H, Black
Handlebar: Salsa Woodchipper, 46 cm length
Stem: Thomson X2, 1-1/8 x +/-10° x 100 x 31.8, Black
Brakes, front and rear: Avid BB7 Mountain, 160 mm rotor, 6-bolt
Brake levers: Tektro RL-520, Black
Saddle: Selle Italia SLK Gel Flow
Seatpost: Thomson Elite Setback, 27.2 mm diam, 330 mm length, Black
Seatpost Clamp: Salsa Lip-Lock, Black
Tires: Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, 700x35


I went with a more rugged parts mix borrowed heavily from the Salsa Fargo specs, 'cuz rugged rules. That, and I want to avoid parts-compatibility issues, since I know basically nothing about geared bikes anymore.

More to follow on just what the hell I plan on doing with what must be my 7th or 8th bicycle.

10 comments:

boxhill said...

I like your saddle choice. I picked up the Lady Gel Flow two months ago and have been happy with it since then.

Jon BALER said...

cool, going to be sweet! I like the woodchipper bars on my Fargo, but the 46 ones are really wide! Might want to consider the smaller 42 for a road bike. You can save a couple bucks, if you get the 25.4 size. It's a tad heavier and made with cheaper aluminum, though.

36 hole rims/hubs?

I just picked up some Vittoria Randonneur Hyper - Triple Shield Protection tires, but haven't tried them yet. Got a 32 for commuting, and 38 for touring.

Good stuff!

Blue-eyed Devil said...

Boxhill, yeah, I've got an SLK on my Casseroll and love it. Light, comfy enough, and durable.

Bale, decided on 32-spoke wheels because, properly built, they should hold up fine. I may, however, go with 36 for the rear. This was something I've been debating. Love Vittoria Randonneurs; had a pair on my Cross Check and ran 'em till the colors bled through the tread...great tires. Thanks for the advice. Still have some decisions to make, but that's what it's all about.

gmr2048 said...

Wait...gears? What?

gmr2048 said...

Also (not related to this post in any way) I thought you might get a kick out of browsing this blog:

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

Some scary looking failures on there.

Jon BALER said...

Salsa has been posting some interesting blog posts lately on their team riders set-ups for endurance gravel events. http://salsacycles.com/culture/

manda said...

speaking of "write more and write more often".... come fix my bike.

Blue-eyed Devil said...

Manda, that would be "ride more and ride more often."

Hang on, I'll be right there... ;-)

G-spot, those carbon "failures" are mostly devastation caused by wrecks. Hell, steel will bend and dent if it gets hit by a car. Still, some interesting stuff there, thanks.

2drunk2shift said...

Sounds sweet. The new salsa is gonna be sweet. Just saying hello. Hope all is well. Looks like Speedy's might have its own web page by next month. Cross your fingers.

Blue-eyed Devil said...

Hey, 2D2S, sweet! I need to place an order; been waaaay too long. Let me know when the page is up and I'll throw ya some free ad work, for what it's worth. Got no problems shilling for a product I use and enjoy, and Speedy's fits the bill.

Hope you and yor lady are enjoying the summer.